Sunday, October 20, 2013

Week 16+

My baby bump is popping a bit more lately!  I was already overweight when I got pregnant.  The weight just didn't budge, even though I was running 5 times a week, eating mostly veggies, drinking tons of water, limiting sugar, etc. doing all of those things you should do when you're trying to lose weight.  So when I got pregnant I noticed that all of my chunk that I already had was shifting forward and I could no longer suck it in or hide it.  I'm excited that the baby is finally catching up and making it's own appearance!


We had a doctor's appointment last Tuesday.  It went really well!  Our doctor is so friendly and so nice, the opposite of what most Army doctors are.  He actually takes time to explain things to us and seems to genuinely care.  I tend to be a nervous wreck, which he recognizes, and tries to help ease my mind.  He was kind enough to do an ultrasound for us on their little portable machines, just because we asked.  It was a huge relief to see my baby again.  I love seeing the little heart beat and seeing how he/she is growing!  Last time we saw our baby it was just a little bean beginning to sprout arms and legs.  This time we saw long skinny arms and legs, a defined head, and a ginormous belly!!

In this one the head is on the right.  You can see the baby has his/her arms above the head and is sticking up a little finger.  We saw the baby making gripping motions with it's little fist and could see the curve of it's hand.  It was incredible!  We also saw the curve of the babies spine, it's jaw opening and closing, and it's long skinny legs kicking over it's body.  I can't wait until I can start feeling those little kicks!!

I thought this was amazing, that you can actually see the bones in the babies arm and skull!  I just don't know why the babies belly is so huge looking!!! I'm hoping it's because the machine was smaller and the image is more compressed and a lower quality then when we get our real ultrasound.
The doctor was supposed to put in a referral for us to schedule an anatomy scan ultrasound with radiology in 2-4 weeks, but radiology didn't have the referral. I still need to get a hold of the doctor to let him know so that we can schedule that.  I'm so anxious to learn the gender so I can stop calling the baby "he/she" and "it".  And also so I can start buying and making cute, gender appropriate things!

4 comments:

  1. so happy you got a good doctor! Cant wait to find out if the baby is a boy or girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!!!! I didn't know you are expecting, so exciting! I am so jealous you get to see your baby so often. I can't wait to find out what 'it' is :-) i guess girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, chunk, schmunk, you're gorgeous! And having a baby! And happy, and lovely. And loved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Gena you look gorgeous. I love your cute bump! I'm so happy for you guys! This is so exciting.

    ReplyDelete