Sunday, April 20, 2014

3 Week Update

Nathan was born with a sacral dimple.  A lot of times sacral dimples aren't a big deal and don't require any special or extra treatment.  Nathan had an ultrasound done on his.  The pediatrician said that his spinal chord looked good and un-tethered, but there is an open sinus tract that she thought would probably need surgery.  We met with a neurosurgeon last week who confirmed that Nathan will definitely need surgery.  He wasn't able to tell us at this point exactly what the procedure will include.  He said that he will at least need to go in and close the opening so that it doesn't lead to infections or meningitis. Nathan will need an MRI to determine if any other more invasive procedures are needed.  The surgery will be scheduled after the MRI is done.  He will need to be sedated for both the MRI and the surgery. The doctor said that after the surgery Nathan will need to stay overnight in the hospital and his recovery should be within just a few days.  At this point we're still waiting to schedule the MRI.

On a happier note:
This little guy is so much fun! He makes the cutest facial expressions all the time, even when he's crying!  And I love the various positions I find him in when he's sleeping in his bed (pictures on the far right).  He loves sucking his thumb, which really helps with tummy time because it's easier for him to hold it in his mouth.  While my mom was here she would play with him by sticking her tongue out at him and he would mimic her.  He does it all the time now! It's so cute!  And of course, he has a killer smile!
Nathan on his 3 week birthday
Happy Easter!! We took Nathan to church today for the first time, but only stayed through Sacrament Meeting.  He did a great job and it felt so nice to sit and listen to all of the songs and messages about our Savior.  It was much needed.  

5 comments:

  1. Perfect day for your first day back at church! And you guys look so cute! I LOVE all of his facial expressions!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Has anyone ever had cuter kids or grandkids? I love my family SO much! I love that you are so sweetly sharing your adorable pictures with us, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Has anyone ever had cuter kids or grandkids? I love my family SO much! I love that you are so sweetly sharing your adorable pictures with us, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'm in love. Can a great-auntie just snatch him away for some cuddle time? You've got to be so happy and loving every little smile he gives you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is so adorable! I wish I lived closer and could hold that little guy!

    ReplyDelete