This last weekend my Mom, Dad, Tyler and I went down to North Carolina and visited the birthplace of Pepsi, and Uncle Caleb's grave.
![]() |
| This is Uncle Caleb's drug store: "Bradham Drug Company." |
The following information came from Wikipedia:
At the peak of success, Bradham had authorized Pepsi-Cola franchises in over 24 states; however, on May 31, 1923, Bradham and his Pepsi-Cola Company declared bankruptcy. The major factor for Bradham’s business failure was the price of sugar immediately following World War I, when prices went up to 28 cents per pound (it was three cents per pound pre-war), and Bradham had purchased a large amount of sugar at that price but the price of sugar nosedived soon after he purchased it. The assets of his company were sold to the Craven Holding Company for $35,000.
And that friends is why I am not a Pepsi Princess.
To answer another question I have recently been asked:
Crystal Pepsi, also known as Clear Pepsi, was given to test markets around the country. It received a lot of positive feedback so they began selling it nationwide. It did really well during the first year it was on the market, but quickly fell so they pulled it. (This information also came from Wikipedia.)
Little did you know you would get a history lesson today . . . or a family history lesson. ;)


Why have I never heard that story!?!?!?!?!!? What a fun one! Better than our big claim to fame....we are related to John Wilkes Booth. Ugh!
ReplyDeleteWow thats crazy awesome though!
ReplyDeleteThat is very cool! I'm sorry Uncle Caleb lost the business. I remember Crystal Pepsi...I am old. I really wish they would bring it back and that Coke would make a colorless version too. No stains on the teeth, you know!
ReplyDeleteGood job telling the story! You are a princess not matter what!
ReplyDelete