Last Friday was a really great day! But, before I get to that I have to go back to the beginning of the month, actually back to December. Back in December I was feeling pretty frustrated about working at Target again and frustrated because I felt like I wasn't really moving forward in life, and that I had somehow even regressed. So, I got on the human services website for the state of Texas and found a social work job opening with the department of family protective services (DFPS). I have applied for this job so many times over the last year that I can't even count how many times it's been. When I didn't hear back from them within a few weeks I decided to just give up on finding a job in the social work field. I was feeling pretty discouraged.
Now back to the beginning of the month: At the beginning of the month I received a call from the hiring specialist at the DFPS asking me if I'd like to interview with them. "Only H#*@ yeah!" was the reply in my head! I went to the interview feeling so exhausted! It had been a long week of 5 am wake ups to drop Michael off at work. I felt like the interview went pretty well, I felt at ease even though there were 5 people in the room. Of course after I started wondering why I used certain examples and not others, and then I really didn't know what to think! But I somehow felt at peace and like everything would be okay.
Fast forward to Friday. The hiring specialist called offering me the job!!! I was so excited, and still am!! The timing actually works out perfectly too because Michael and I have a vacation planned for the first half of April, and I don't start work until we get back! I was actually at work on a break when the guy called offering me the job. It was perfect because I was able to give my two weeks that same day.
I'm not sure about the specifics of my new job yet, but I will be a conservator worker, which is a social worker who works with children and families after the children have been removed from the home. It will be a lot of meetings, reports, visits, planning, and court. Four years ago when I started my degree in social work this is the job that I had in mind as what I'd like to do with my degree. I feel so blessed to finally be given this opportunity!
The timing also worked out perfectly with the release of the movie "The Hunger Games." I have been so excited for this movie for quite some time! I LOVE the books, a lot. I've read the series several times and was a little bit nervous when I learned they were making it into a movie. But it did not disappoint and in some ways I liked it even more.
Last Friday definitely ranks near the top as one of my best day's ever!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
WOO_HOO!!!!!! I am soooo sooo proud of you for hanging in there, and so grateful for this great opportunity! The Lord is good, so so good!
ReplyDeleteAnd the Hunger Games was pretty fun, too!!!!
Love you!
YAY!!! I am so happy for you! Good for you! Prayers are answered, sometimes not the way we think they should be at the time or how we think they should be at the time, however if we just endure and press forward it all works out sooner or later. Your prayers were answered! So glad that you had such a great day! Did you see Hunger Games? Was it so good?
ReplyDeleteCongratulations Sarah!! I'm so happy for you :)
ReplyDeleteYipeee! That is great! Sounds like a hard but rewarding job!
ReplyDeleteWow that is so amazing!!! What a great feeling! I'm so excited for you and how perfect timing it is, get to go on a vacation and come back to new job. aahhh so awesome. :) Congrats!
ReplyDeleteYay, ya, yay!!!
ReplyDeleteSarah, Congratulations! I am so excited for you to start the job you've always wanted! I remember when you finished your associates... look how far you've come! I'm a proud old roommate! That sounds like a challenging but rewarding job. Good luck
ReplyDelete