Saturday, March 29, 2014

Nathan's Birthday!

A few days before my inducement date my good friend, Catherine, suggested to me that I keep a small pad of paper near by after the baby is born so that I can jot important, cute, etc. things down that he'll do to help me remember when I'm exhausted.  I am so glad I took that advice and took the time while I was in the hospital to jot things down from Nathan's birthday.  I made a timeline from the day after I was induced and while I was resting at different times throughout the day.  This may get TMI at times.

March 24, 2014
10 PM I started having mild contractions, they were about 10 minutes apart for about 30 seconds and lasted throughout the night.  They never really increased in duration or intensity but also didn't change or go away if I tried walking, drinking, etc.  It made for a very long night.

March 25, 2014
6 AM We arrived at hospital
6:30(ish) There was a woman giving birth in the next room over and we kept hearing her screaming like an amazonion and a guy was yelling 'push, push push!' :/  It was a great start to a day that I was already crazy nervous/anxious about.  I really hoped she had gone all natural . . .
7 I had blood work drawn
8:15 The nurse that was with us all day, Rosa, gave me an IV and started me on Pitocin 
8:45 My doctor, Dr. Shirley, checked my cervix-I was 4 cm dilated and 80% effaced, she told me she was going to break my water.  She then went out into the hall and we heard her saying loudly 'Rosa, we're going to break waters in here!'.  She's pretty funny.  When she broke my water I was not prepared for all of the fluid. It was crazy! I felt like my belly was automatically flatter and lighter! It was really weird. I went to the bathroom before the anesthesiologist came in. The nurse came with me to help with the IV chords and things. It was weird peeing in front of her. I don't even pee in front of Michael.  Little did I know that was just the beginning of the awkwardness from the day!
9:30 I was given an epidural- I was very nervous that I was going to move and I was so uncomfortable all hunched over. Getting the epidural wasn't as bad as I thought it would be though. The needle going in was like any other time I've had needles in me. And then there was a lot of pressure on my right hip. The worst part was just holding still in a very uncomfortable position. I was feeling crampy and didn't know how long it was going to take which made me anxious. Rosa and Michael really helped me stay calm and still. Rosa held my head down in the right position, Michael helped me keep my feet still and in the right position and let me squeeze his hand. Both were very soothing and encouraging. My legs were tingly and my whole body felt shaky and shivery afterwards.
10 The nurse placed the catheter-that was weird because the epidural was still taking effect. I couldn't really feel much but I felt the sensation when your legs are numb but waking up. It was weird. Rosa checked my cervix, I was dilated to a 5. She said contractions were coming every 2 minutes. I didn't feel anything and I was finally able to rest.

I felt very exposed all morning. The nurses and doctors all seemed totally comfortable with it but it was weird to me because I am a pretty modest person and don't usually expose so much of my skin. It was very weird and uncomfortable but at the same time I was so tired and with everything going on that morning I eventually just stopped caring.  The weekend before I had felt very anxious and very nervous.  However, throughout the day 
I felt pretty calm and peaceful. I think that was mostly the epidural but also a whole lot of prayers being answered. I was so grateful!

12 PM I was dilated to a 6
2:30 Dr. Shirley came in to check dilation, I was at a 6 without contractions and a 7-8 with. She said she was going to go home for a few hours and then come back since she was getting off from being on call through the weekend. I told the nurse that I was feeling pressure in my upper abdomen but not pain.  Dr. Shirley came back 15 minutes later and I was dilated to a 9-10. She had me do some practice pushes then had me sit up in the bed to let gravity help pull him down.  Rosa came back in to help me push several times to get him moved down more.  Dr. Shirley came back in a half hour later and I pushed even more. My legs were pretty numb from the epidural but I was able to pull them up and hold them while I pushed and I was able to feel the pressure from the contractions and from the baby bearing down. The doctor let me say when I was ready to push as each new contraction started. I was surprised by my intuition in knowing when to push and I was incredibly grateful for the epidural. I don't think I could have done it without it. I was also very grateful for Michael, Rosa, and Dr. Shirley. They were all perfect coaches and exactly what I needed!  
At one point the doctor told me to stop pushing and then told me to push again this time I knew it would be for the last time.  It's really hard to describe the many feelings and sensations that were going on as Nathan was actually emerging.  It was unlike anything I had ever experienced before physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually.   

3:44 PM Nathan Anthony was born! Michael cut the chord. Dr. Shirley put him on a towel on my stomach but he was only left there for a few seconds. He was very blue/purple. Dr. Shirley told us that his chord was wrapped twice around his neck and once around his body. The doctors and nurses were able to get it figured out pretty quick and we heard him crying quickly after he was moved to the warmer to be cleaned and taken care of. It was a long few seconds of waiting though and I just remember crying and asking over and over if my baby was okay.  Dr. Shirley was very reassuring and hearing his cry was very reassuring.  The doctor told me that I had a minor second degree tear but that I only tore because Nathan was born with his left arm up near his right cheek across his neck and he jabbed me with his elbow as he was coming out!

Nathan weighed 7 pounds, 10 ounces and was 21 inches in length. He had an apgar score of 6.9. After the doctor finished stitching me I was able to breastfeed. It took several tries to get him to latch on and start sucking but we figured it out!  He is so cute and has a cute little cone shaped head that is full of black hair!!




Side note: We were watching 'House Hunters' before Nathan was born and it was on in the background during delivery.  At least it wasn't still on 'People's Court' which we had been watching earlier.

March 26, 2014
12:30 AM We were changing Nathan for the second time since he had been born. I was wiping his little bum and he peed in an arc over his head hitting Michael!  Luckily it only got Michael's hand and the shoulder of Nathan's t-shirt!  It was pretty funny.

Throughout the day the nurses came in to check on us and take vitals.  Most of the day was spent resting and trying to figure out breast feeding.  Nathan slept A LOT during the day.  Poor boy seemed very tired after his birth experience.

1:36 PM Nathan passed his hearing test. The nurse was cute and commented that he is full of personality and gave her dirty looks when she was taking the nodes off of him.  He has some really cute faces and is pretty expressive.
2:30 The pediatrician, Dr. Leug, came in to check Nathan. She said he looks great. She took him to do the circumcision.  He had been pretty active throughout the day as far as moving his arms and legs and squirming around while he slept.  He did great but came back and his body was stiff as a board.  He looked a bit in shock.  My poor boy.


5:00 We were cleared to go home!
First family picture!
Going home from the hospital!!

 9:45 PM Grandma got here!!

We love our little guy so much!! He is so much fun and such a good baby!! Next time I feel coherent I'll add some more pictures!

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE reading birth stories. It makes me want to do it again- I'm a little twisted, I know. You're little family is so awesome. I am glad he is well and that things went smoothly. Miss you guys. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. That very last picture is a-dorable!! And that cracks me up that house hunters was on in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm kind of partial in my declaration of how adorable he is and how wonderful you and Michael are. But who cares? I love you all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your new bundle of joy. He is absolutely precious beyond words and you look SO good! You and Michael are the cutest best parents. So happy for you all!

    Love,
    JoLynn

    P.S. I wish we lived closer to come and see him in person and bring you a meal or two.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man am I jealous of your birth experience! I had no intuition about pushing, I always thought I would. I'm so glad everything went so well for you. I feel so repetitive, but - HE IS ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete