I have been a member of the LDS church my whole life. My parents met while serving missions and were married and sealed in the temple. Being a member of this church and growing up being taught certain values, ethics, and doctrine has shaped my whole life It influences who I am, how I live, how I think and view the world around me. My testimony has grown a lot over the last few years and it has been especially strengthened the last few months.
My parents are both converts to the church. Growing up in Utah I always heard stories in church about ward members famous pioneer heritages, but I never had any stories of my own. I have never really known much about my ancestors or even my living relatives because my mom's family was in California and my dad's family was in Virginia. Over the last few months I have been living with my parents again while waiting for Michael to finish up his training. I have learned more about my relatives and ancestors during this time then I ever have before in my life.
Without going into the details, I will say that I now realize that my parents are the pioneers in our family. When they joined the church, were sealed in the temple, and decided to raise their family according to the teachings of the gospel of Jesus Christ they were breaking generational cycles and giving their children a better life then they themselves had known. I have always taken it for granted that I was raised in a faithful LDS home.
I love the children's hymn "I belong to the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints," and as I think about the words and the impact they have in my life I feel so grateful to my parents for giving me the greatest gift they could, and that is a testimony of the restored gospel and of my Savior, Jesus Christ.
I belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
I know who I am.
I know God's plan.
I'll follow him in faith.
I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ.
I'll honor his name.
I'll do what is right.
I'll follow his light.
His truth I will proclaim.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That's awesome Sarah! Now if only we could see a video on here of you singing the song. :)
ReplyDeleteWay to "let your light shine"! Second generation LDS are awesome!
ReplyDeleteSweet! Your parents are indeed pioneers! There is another little song that goes, "You don't have to push a handcart, or leave your family dear, or walk a thousand miles or more to be a Pioneer."
ReplyDeleteIt truly great to be a pioneer!
ReplyDeleteYou practically made me cry at school. I love you!!! And your pioneers!
ReplyDeleteSARAH!!!!!!!!!!!! I have MISSED you! I can't believe I didn't know about this blog! (Or maybe I did... I can't remember!)
ReplyDeleteI have always been impressed by people who paved the way for their families to grow in the church. Nick is a 3rd generation member on both sides, and was taught his whole life about how his Grandparents are pioneers.
It has definitely made me stop and think about the everlasting impact of their faith.
Um, can you please message me on FB? We need to talk more! Also I have a blog but it's private, so FB is the best way to reach me. Love you!
Such a great post! Your parents are pioneers just like Steven is. I have more than enough wagon driving handcart pushing ancestors to share but that doesn't mean I've done anything other than being born. I'm always in awe of the committment it took for Mary, Dennis and Steve to change their lives so completely.
ReplyDeleteps. I knew you were extra special and never more so than when you posted your connection to Pepsi. You're still a princess!