We ended up going into the Museum of American History, which is my absolute favorite! I've been there many times, but this time was extra cool for two reasons. One: the museum had been closed the last few times I made it into D.C. so I hadn't been in since they remodeled it. Two: it was way cool to go with my grandma who actually remembers things that are exhibited and on display.
I also love this exhibit, "The Star Spangled Banner." They are restoring the flag that flew over Fort McHenry in Baltimore, Maryland during the Revolutionary War. This is the flag that Francis Scott Key saw that inspired the writing of our National Anthem. The exhibit is just a slice of what you'll see at Fort McHenry, which I've also been to and it's pretty cool.
There was a newly remodeled exhibit that we went through called "America on the Move." We saw trains, and the progression of cars, metro's, buses, etc. Here are some pics:
| Grandma said they had a car like this once. |
Grandma told us stories about when they traveled on "street cars," which are now metro's, into downtown D.C. She worked at a drug store near downtown. She said that every day she would walk past the National Treasury building to get to her bus stop.
I saw history in a new way as I walked through the museum with my dad and Grandma. It was cool to see the exhibits come to life and to learn more about my family's history.
One last picture:

Oh man. Don't you love that American Flag exhibit? The line was way too long when Jill and I went, but then when I went with the other peeps we went to it. I'm not gonna lie, it kinda made me cry. That is how much I loved it. Oh hey, I just remembered about the book my mom got me for Christmas. I'm gonna have to take a longer look at that. I LOVE D.C.! And you!
ReplyDeleteHow fortunate you are to live so close to so much history! I am fairly jealous. Not going to lie! I'd take that wrong turn with your Dad anytime!
ReplyDeleteYep, it's like a drug for you! I've seen you go through the euphoria in person! Really cool to hear grandma stories, though, huh!?! Amazing.
ReplyDelete