Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Birthdays

Yesterday was my birthday, I am now 25 years old.  It seems a lot older to me then 24 did, but I'm sure I'll say the same thing next year about 26.  I was talking to my "sister," Catherine, last night and we were laughing at some good birthday memories I've had over the years.  One year my cute little nieces and nephews made me a birthday crown that I had to wear all day and we had a Chinese take out picnic lunch in the living room.  I think having little kids around make birthdays even better.  Another year we went out to a really delicious Mexican restaurant, Don Pablos, and I had to wear this ridiculously large sombrero while being sung to.  I looked for a picture of it, but I don't seem to have one . . . Catherine B, do you have those?  I'm not really into birthday cake, unless it's German chocolate with the coconut icing.  My mom always made it for me and bought the sugar letters to spell "Happy Birthday."  It always made me feel extra special because none of my other siblings got them for their birthday.  The last few years however I've enjoyed various chocolate peanut butter pies and last year my roommate, Erica, made me the best cheesecake I've ever tasted!

Anyway, yesterday was another good birthday.  It was mostly just like any other day, until Michael came home from work.  He took me to Texas Roadhouse for dinner.  I had never been there before, it was really good.  He did not tell me ahead of time what their tradition for birthdays is, otherwise we might not have gone there . . . After our meal the waitress brought over a big saddle, which I had to sit on and wave a napkin/ lasso around while being sung to. Luckily we were in the corner so the embarrassment was minimal!  Michael snapped some pictures, but he didn't get the actual saddle, so these might look extra ridiculous . . . :/

I love that guys face behind me.  I can tell he really loves his job!!
You can't really see the napkin, I must have been swinging it so fast!! ;)  That's my "I love you so much" face for Michael!
Attempt #1 at trying to get Michael to actually smile and look happy in a picture.
Attempt #2: Better, at least now he looks amused, but you have to tilt your head to look at it.
Attempt #3
Will someone please teach my husband how to smile for pictures?!
 Overall it was a really great day.  I loved all of the texts, phone calls, facebook messages, and birthday cards reminding me of what a lucky girl I am to have so many people that love me!

8 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a good day! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up so bad! And so does Michael's inability to smile. Texas Roadhouse IN Texas? Holy cow. Perfect. I miss you, so now I'm gonna go cry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you can legally rent a car! You are so grown up! I love you and the pictures are great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH, peanut butter pie!!! I forgot how fab that is!
    Michael and I will have to have a talking to about that picture thing.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catherine and Kamberlynne and I were just talking about that night at Don Pablo's, when the waiter spilled our drink! Such fun memories! The only pictures I took that night are on an old cell phone, not sure if I can get to them or not.
    I don't know what it is about guys and pictures, ugh!! It took me YEARS to teach Chris how to look decent in pictures, and I still have to remind him "Don't raise your eyebrows, look at the camera, now smile"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey all of you...good luck with the smile thing! I have been trying to snap pictures of Michael for years and usually end up with his hands over his face. At least you got the face in there Sarah!

    I am so glad it was you on the saddle and not me! Yeehaw!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I there! You do not us but we are some more crazy, fun, exciting cousins of your handsome hubby. We are Gena's brother, Richard's children. My husband is Brian and Brian is Richard's son. Richard married my mother-Sherri after Brian and I were married. See I told you we were crazy, fun, and exciting:) That is a little history to fill you on us if you haven't heard all of that before and if any of that confused you ask Gena to explain it to you or Michael.

    Anyway...I have been peeking in on you two a bit and I just had to tell you Happy Birthday and also that I think you are just darling. Michael sure did good picking you out:)

    JoLynn Ellsworth

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.S..... I think that not smiling for pictures thing is an Ellsworth deal. Brian is always avoiding taking pictures and is always making silly/dumb faces. Oh and one more thing that guy singing in the background is a crack up. Could he at least pretend to enjoy what he's doing???

    ReplyDelete