Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Joys of Primary

Michael and I teach the CTR 7's, which  means our whole class will be getting baptized this year!  We had our first kid get baptized last Sunday, and it was a little bit of  a miracle that we got to go.  Our car had died the Saturday night before and we weren't able to jump it.  We weren't able to go to church and couldn't figure out what was wrong with it.  I was so sad thinking we'd miss the baptism, but we called another one of Michael's friends over, tried jumping it again and this time it worked.  It was so weird!  But, it worked and we made it to the baptism!  After Meagan was baptized the bishop asked her who she'd like to stand in the circle to confirm her and she told him she wanted Michael to stand in.  It was so sweet and made us feel like we actually are making some kind of difference in these kids lives.  And then I was asked to give the closing prayer.  It was so great to be able to be apart of it!

Today did not exactly go as expected, but it turned out alright in the end.  Michael got a text from work this morning at 8:30 saying he needed to be at work at 9 to get some stuff ready for tomorrow.  I tried really hard to be calm.  As much as I love our class and I love teaching them it makes me nervous to not have my partner in crime there to back me up.Plus, he had planned the lesson this week!  So, I went to church hoping he'd be able to make it in time for primary.  Well, sharing time came and went and Michael was not there.  And, on top of that, the CTR 6 teachers weren't there, so I was asked to take their class as well.  After taking many deep breaths and telling myself the Lord would bless me over and over it was finally time to go to class.  So, I took my 13 kids down the hall and we all made it into the room.  But, I knew I couldn't do it alone, so I informed someone in the primary presidency and they sent in one of the kids dads.  It was a relief to have someone else there to help me out and it was an answer to my prayers.  Plus, the kid in my regular class that usually has a hard time sitting and listening was a perfect example of reverence and encouraged everyone else in the class to listen quietly as well.  It was the other tender mercy that I needed!!  I think it was a very successful class and the kids seemed really into it.  It made me feel good to have their attention and to have the Lord hear and answer my prayers.

4 comments:

  1. It's so neat to be involved with the kids' baptisms, I loved it!
    And, oh wow, 13 kids!!! I'm so glad you got some help and the kids were good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I love that! Primary is such a nice place to be in church :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that you and Michael are making a difference in those kids lives and I know that they just love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seth and I teach in Primary as well. As I read your post it reminded me of MANY times we've had while there. There are some weeks that have no drama, and some weeks that make up for the times that don't! But, I'd rather be in Primary than anywhere else! P.S. we still need to get together!

    ReplyDelete