When we first got to Virginia my dad showed me a list he had made of all the things he wanted to do with Nathan while we were there. The list was two index cards! Throughout the two weeks we were able to check them all off!! Nathan was spoiled rotten by his Meemaw and Papa and he loved every minute of it!
The day before we had to fly home we just had two things left to do.
 |
| Surprisingly enough this little water baby isn't the biggest fan of swimming pools. I think he likes being able to stand in the water and touch the ground, so going out where he has to be held kind of freaks him out. He still ended up having a good time though! |
 |
| After swimming we drove up to a river nearby and made a campfire. We had hot dogs and s'mores. Nathan liked watching the fire. Papa took him to the stream nearby. He said that he took off his shoes and socks and Nathan immediately started walking into the water. Funny kid! |
 |
| Nathan was EXHAUSTED on our flights home, especially near the end! This boy does not sleep anywhere except his bed and occasionally his car seat. I can't even get him to lay down in my bed to sleep with me when he wakes up too early and I really just want to stay in bed! He slept for an hour on the first flight. He was awake and restless on our second flight. That flight was five hours and we were not lucky enough to get a middle seat. I will admit I felt pretty overwhelmed (to the point of tears) at the thought of him on my lap for five hours. However, even though we didn't get a middle seat we did get the nicest, most patient, most understanding people all around us! I kept him on my lap when the seat belt sign was on and then let him stand in the aisle when it was off. He was drawn to a woman, or rather a woman's laptop, that was across the aisle from us. He stood in the aisle staring at her the first time. I apologized and tried to pick him back up but she was so sweet and asked him what his name was and talked to him. She said she didn't mind at all and that she had two boys herself that are 18 months apart. As the flight progressed Nathan got braver and every time I set him down he'd walk over and stand by her and she'd talk to him and smile at him, and he'd smile back and point at her laptop. She was so sweet! The other people around commented on how well behaved he was being. It was a tender mercy from the Lord. He was a bit rascally when the seat belt light went on and I had to hold him, but he would settle down and played with the various things in his bag. As we were landing in Vegas at the end of that flight he fell asleep. He stayed asleep as I got him off the plane, into his stroller, out of his stroller, changed his clothes into his jammies, got on another plane, and got off another plane. There was a lot of jostling but he was completely out of it! He woke up in the Salt Lake airport in time to see his dad after two weeks! |
It was an awesome trip for both of us!! Nathan got to hang out with his grandparents and I got a nap every day! ;) And Michael was able to spend some real quality time with his homework! (Poor guy! I think we had the better end of that deal . . . He was definitely missed!)
What an odyssey! You were surely blessed on those flights. I always try to be so nice to people with little children on planes. It does nobody any good to be otherwise. Cannot stand those grumpy sour=pusses who ruin everyone's day!
ReplyDeleteWhat a blessing to spend time with your parents and let him get to know them better. I would give anything to have some time like that with Lucas right now!