Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Easter Bunny

Warning: if you believe there is an Easter bunny, don't read this post!!!

This week as Easter was approaching Michael and I were talking about family traditions and what we wanted to carry over to our family.  We both like the idea of Easter baskets filled with candy and dying and hunting Easter eggs.  He also wants us to tell our kids about the Easter bunny . . . I have a problem with that though.  I don't remember ever believing in the Easter bunny, and I don't remember my parent's ever telling us there was one.  The idea of an "Easter bunny" just doesn't make a lot of sense to me and is actually a bit frightening to think about.  Does a big bunny just hop around laying eggs every where?!?!  Apparently he carries a basket of eggs . . . I just don't know about all that.

Michael thinks it will be easier for us to just tell our kids about the Easter bunny because apparently all the other kids are going to know about the Easter bunny and he doesn't want our kids to be the odd ones that make other children cry with the truth.  I really don't know how many kids actually believe in the Easter bunny though.  I didn't, and I really don't remember if my friends did or not.  Probably not though because I probably spoiled it for them!

Where did the Easter bunny even come from? How did we go from celebrating the resurrection of our Savior to telling tales about big, frightening, egg laying bunnies?  Michael and I never came to a conclusion about whether the Easter bunny will exist for our children or not.  We did agree however that he will definitely not be stealing the spotlight from the true reason for the day.  I am so grateful for the atonement and resurrection of my Savior, Jesus Christ, and I can't wait for the day that I will be able to share my testimony of these things with my children.

Happy Easter!!! The Easter bunny brought Michael and I season three of "The Big Bang Theory."  Just in time too, because we just finished season two last night!! ;)

10 comments:

  1. Well I don't know about you but my whole childhood was ruined because I didn't believe in the easter bunny... Not! It didn't affect my childhood either way. I never got into heated debates with my friends on whether or not it existed. I personally think it's a weird concept. Either way though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family did the whole Easter Bunny thing and I remember really getting into it, like Santa, but I don't ever remember talking one to my friends about it, so your kids would probably be fine. We've never had a talk about it, probably should.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, you know what picture is coming into my mind from the "compatibility" game, don't you?!?!?!?!?!?

    Scary!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. too funny!!! Mom, i'm totally with you on that freaky, sideways bunny picture from the "compatibility" game!

    Sarah, you now have 14 followers! :) love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never believed in the easter bunny and never felt left out. I think it was quite some time before I realized that it was a santa-type thing. And is the easter bunny supposedly a huge rabbit or a little bunny that just is capable of stuff? It sounds way more far-fetched than santa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well... We would celebrate Christ on the weekend and talk about it, Sunday we did not have an egg hunt to dedicate our thoughts to our savior, then the day after (monday) we would celebrate the egg hunting. (My mom was wise, and got the candy half off this way! hehehe, love her for that, and I think i'll do it that way when I have kids!)
    I honestly dont remember if I was taught there was an easter bunny... or I think I just didnt believe it.. Now santa was a different story. He was FOREAL! haha. But I dont think it would ruin the kid if they didnt know about the easter bunny, or believing in it.. cuz you can still have them going easter egg hunting. They'll still have fun trying to hunt for those eggs. even if they know their parents/aunts/uncles all hid them. Its still fun! Even as they get older. I dont think they'll be traumatized if you dont teach them about it. :) whatever you do I'm sure you'll be great at!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never believed in the easter bunny. I guess I agree that the whole concept of a egg laying bunny was pretty weird. But I always loved hunting for our baskets and eggs. I like the idea cailey's mom had to do it the day after Cheaper candy sounds great to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah; I don't think there was ever such a thing as actually teaching about the Easter Bunny. He was just mentioned and it was just something that was fun. I know I never gave it much thought. Just seemed to know it wasn't real but just a small thing that added to the fun. As for thinking the Easter Bunny hid the eggs. I don't ever remember hearing that. We all colored the eggs and knew the grownups hid them. Just a fun thing to do. I am sure when you have children it will all come natural. And I am sure you will make sure they are taught the true reason for Easter. How are things going? I am sure you are two very happy campers. I know because I can relate to your situation. I have an email address so drop me a line sometime..sleeplessinarvada@hotmail.com. Love you both Grandma Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. So there isn't an Easter Bunny that hops around hiding eggs willy nilly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think I ever heard about a bunny laying eggs? I know the Easter Bunny was never a big deal in my mind. I only let "him" fill and hide their baskets so they could look for them. How funny that I never event thought about Easter traditions!

    ReplyDelete