Friday, May 20, 2011

Confession

I have become somewhat (you can judge how much for yourself at the end of this post . . .) addicted to the video game "Oblivion."  I started out as a sweet, innocent wife that just wanted to make her husband happy, but have come to love it!!  I blame a few things on this addiction.
  1. My adorable husband, Michael, as mentioned above.
  2. My lack of employment.
  3. My lack of schooling.
  4. My lack of friends.
  5. My lack of babies.
Now, some of you may be wondering what it is that makes this game so addicting, or maybe just wondering what you do in this game.  First you get to make your character.  You get to choose your race and class and it's kind of like making a "mii" on the Wii, only more realistic looking.  Then it's basically just like an interactive story.  The setting is in a region known as Cyrodiil in the middle of the Tamriel continent.  You are the main character, the hero, and you go on all sorts of adventures, called "quests."  The main story line is the main quest and then as you travel through the cities and the region you pick up all sorts of side quests.

My previous exposure to video games had been very limited ("Mariokart", "Mario Party", "Wii Fit", etc.) so when I first started playing this one I was amazed to learn how realistic a video game could seem.  I decided to be a Redguard in my game, which is a warrior.  As you go through the quests your character gets stronger and levels up as you get better at different kinds of skills, like sword fighting, hand to hand combat, wearing armor, conjuring and casting spells, alchemy, sneaking, etc.  When I first started I stumbled across a side quest that you needed to be a level 10 to start.  In my  mind I was like, "No way will I ever be able to do that!"  Just ask Michael, I was reeeeeaally bad!!  However, with the help of Jessica,  Michael (let's just call them the Sheldon to my Penny), and OblivioWiki (yes, Wikipedia for everything "Oblivion") I am happy :/ to say that I am now a level 24, and I kicked butt at that level 10 quest . . . and many others like it . . .  And, I must admit that last week when I found that gross disgusting bug in my apartment I wished that I had my ebony claymore to smash it to pieces with!

At the request of a very good friend here are some pictures of my game, they're not very good, but hopefully good enough that you can kind of see what's in the picture:
This is my character looking out over the Imperial City
(Michael was in charge of finding good scenic pictures . . .)
This is me with my bow and arrows in my Dark Brotherhood armor.
This is my horse.
This is me fighting some bad guy.
This is the night sky.  The pictures don't really do it justice, but the scenery is actually really pretty, especially the sky.
The other pictures were taken from third person, but this one is in first person, which is how I usually play the game.
Lastly, I would like to tell about the dream I had last night.  I dreamt that my mom, younger sister and younger brother moved to New York.  I'm pretty sure my dad was there too, he just wasn't in my dream.  I went to visit them and my sister took me to Plato's Closet, the clothing store.  There were two guys that worked there that she had met and become friends with and had started hanging out with.  Well they were drug dealers and we ended up going along on some kind of drug deal with them.  The whole time in my mind I was like, "Why aren't I telling someone about this?!"  So, we got home and were getting ready for bed and I noticed that Jessica was crying and really upset, so I went to talk to her and she was like, "I just never thought I would be one of those people that would move to New York and get involved in stuff like this, and I don't know how to get out of it." That's where the dream ended, and it was actually one of those dreams where I woke up feeling depressed because my sister was upset and had gotten mixed up with the wrong kind of people, etc.  But then, I realized that the drug dealers were selling Skooma, which is a very addictive drug in "Oblivion."  I cannot even tell you how embarrassed I was when I realized that!!!!  I of course had to tell Jessica about the dream, and Michael, and that is part of how this post came to be written.

So there you have it.  Now that I feel like the biggest dork on the planet I must go to bed and hope that I have better dreams tonight!!  (Luckily I wrote my GRE post earlier this week so I can at least, hopefully, maintain some kind of dignity!!)  And, yes, I am super excited for "Skyrim" to come out in November and we just pre-ordered our copy!!  Although I might have to wait to play until it has it's own Wikipedia site . . . ;)

6 comments:

  1. Ummmmm, I was ok till I saw you had taken pictures of your "character"....it's a darn good thing that husband of yours is so "adorable"! Just make sure you do your hour of reading first, and don't forget your piano....;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been totally sicked in! Noooooo! I blame Michael. It is now here that I must confess my 1999 addiction to Dr. Mario. I was the best in the house. Nobody could beat me! You will notice it has been many years and I am no longer blasting those little pills as they fall. Now, if I could unhook myself from Facebook...

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say is "Penny pull yourself together and get a job and clean yourself up!" LOL! and I think your dream was a message for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hhahhahaha thats pretty cute though. Its all good, we all have some kind of dorkyness!!! I have lots of them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so embarrassing! Just kidding. I'm the one who told you to take pictures so I could see what the heck you were talking about. So thanks! Thanks for outing yourself just for me! And that was a hilarious dream too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Sarah, I don't know what to else to say but wow!

    ReplyDelete