I had my first class tonight as a graduate student! I bought a new bag and some shoes for the occasion, but the best part was I only spent $22 combined! I was nervous for my class, I really didn't know what to expect. On the drive over I was trying to anticipate what it might be like. I was really hoping we would just go over the syllabus and go home early. I was also really hoping that we would NOT have to introduce ourselves in any way shape or form. Guess which one happened?
I got to class and the professor introduced the class. It is foundations of counseling and psychology. She then asked us to go around the room and state our names and the college we attended for our undergrads. I secretly rolled my eyes, but figured that wouldn't be so bad. After everyone had a turn she told us the purpose of doing that was to establish our foundation for the class. We all come from a variety of backgrounds, different locations around the country and have different areas of study for our undergrad. Okay, I thought, at least it related to the class. Then she asked us to go around the room and talk about our mom's, or a woman who has greatly influenced our life. I'm actually still not sure how that related to the class, unless it was another foundation thing to help us get to know one another. I was suuuuper nervous at first because I really hate speaking publicly to strangers. However, it was about a great topic, my mom is phenomenal so I had a lot of material. I was hoping I could just get it over with really quick near the beginning, but didn't end up getting to go until third to the last. Oh well. It wasn't as painful as I thought it would be to sit and listen to everyone else and else to speak myself. I actually enjoyed it. We didn't even end up going over the syllabus because the sharing took so long! We even went over by ten minutes, but the class seems really cool anyway.
The best part though was when we were passing around the sign up sheet we had to write our names and phone numbers. I noticed that the woman sitting next to me also had a Utah area code in her number. So, I asked her about it during our break and it turns out that she is LDS also from Utah! She's not in my ward, unfortunately, but what are the odds?! It felt like such a tender mercy from the Lord.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
First off I just happened to notice that today is your wedding anniversary. SO Happy Anniversary! I hope you and Michael have a fabulous day and get to enjoy yourselves!
ReplyDeleteYour class sounds like it will be interesting but I'm not a public speaker kind of gal. That is so cool that you have someone in the class that you have something in common with. I'm sure that this class will be a great experience for you!
Dear Grad Student,
ReplyDeleteWe are so proud of you!!!!!
Immensely Loving You,
Big Sis and all the cuties
Woot woot for being in school again! I really think I could be a life-long student if someone was willing to pay me.
ReplyDeleteSo very proud of you! What a great example you are of setting goals and finding a way to complete them. Love you!
ReplyDeleteThat is so exciting Sarah!!!! :D I am so happy for you and jealous! What a great feeling!
ReplyDelete