Michael has very strict regulations on how his uniform is to be worn and maintained, right down to the Velcro on his cuffs. They have to stay down, but with the flap up, or something like that. His uniforms are still in pretty good condition except for the Velcro on his cuffs. To replace the whole uniform because of this one little thing would have been pretty pricey, so he decided it would be okay to see if I could mend it somehow. This is one of his cuffs before:
It might be a little bit hard to see, but if you look close you can see the square where the Velcro is sewn on. So I decided that the best way to mend this, and stick to the military regulations was to whip stitch it down along the left line of the Velcro. I was so nervous because I have never really done anything like that before and it was never going to be scrutinized before! All you sewers out there are probably laughing at me because this is probably the easiest thing ever in the sewing world! Once I got going it wasn't as tricky as I originally thought it would be. But, it was a little bit hard because the material is so thick and I had to go through so much of it, plus Velcro! And I really didn't know if I could do a good enough job.
See for yourself!
It helped that we had the exact same color of thread, but still I think I did an amazing job!
I don't know if you can see this very well, but this is the other side of the sleeve with my little line of stitches. Luckily no one cares about this side!!



Way to go!!! that looks great!
ReplyDeleteGreat job Sarah!
ReplyDeleteYou did awesome! As you have probably figured out I'm not the best homemaker in the world. I probably would never have made it all these years other than I have great family that helps me and takes pitty on me and my family. Anyway, I am very impressed at all of your homemaking skills!
ReplyDeleteSarah I had to look back and forth about 10 times to even notice the difference between the before and after pictures haha. Good job. Also, I love all the Utah gear you are sporting in your holiday pictures!! haha miss ya!
ReplyDelete